Friday, February 4, 2011

In Her Head

I'm in my main character's funk right now.

Ever had that happen to you? I'm having a perfectly good night, in a perfectly good place. Things are even going perfectly well with my WIP. But I'm in a foul mood, and I just realized it's because my main character is in a foul mood. I just went downstairs, poured her glass of wine and made her hot fudge pudding in place of my dinner.

Still, I'm happy to absorb her bad mood. It's an awesome feeling to be in my MC's head, because for a long time, I wasn't. I concentrated on getting her story out more than I concentrated on getting her character right. It took a long time for us to get to know each other. Then finally one day, after months of editing and at least two new first chapters, things clicked. I was talking to a writer friend about it recently, and I told her I actually felt the moment that I was writing her instead of writing about her.

Obviously I'm all keyed up. I keep using italics for emphasis.

Anyway.

I'm in a bad mood, sort of, but I feel a lot better now that I've realized my bad mood actually comes from a really good place. So now I'm going to go put her hot fudge pudding in my tummy and get back to the manuscript.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... I've been there too.

    Depending on the character it can be a scary scary place.

    Still, it makes for stellar writing, so maybe you should hold off on the fudge until AFTER (sorry no italics) you've written the part that makes her so moody.

    Good luck. :-)

    ReplyDelete