Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Great Expectations

So I went on an editing retreat last weekend.
.
OK, fine - you got me. It was an all-girl getaway weekend disguised as an editing retreat. But the point, for me, truly was to make tons of progress on book revisions. Did I accomplish that goal?
.
I guess that depends on how you define progress.
.
I did manage to ramble on and on enough about the manuscript to bore my beta readers and talk through some important plot points. That's sort of progress..
.
I did get through a really tough chapter (so tough it was embarrassing to read) and came out with a version I'm pretty happy with. That's definite progress.
.
I did continue down the path of connecting with my MC and turning her from first-draft flat to third-draft complicated. That's jump-up-and-down-and-kiss-the-computer-screen progress.
.
So, yeah, I guess I did get some work done..
.
But I'd probably glorified the quiet-cabin-in-the-woods thing a little too much. Pretty much every day, there's a point when I wish I could find the pause button and put everything on hold just for a little while. Just long enough to focus, to concentrate, to make tons of progress. And I know that's completely unrealistic. Because even when I do get away, when I do put everything on hold and really focus, I'm only human. I can't edit a 100,000-word novel in one long weekend. Especially a long weekend that involves three good friends (and fabulous beta readers), a pitcher of cosmos and When Harry Met Sally.
.
I did my best. I'll keep doing my best. And I'll keep doing it in the little slivers of spare time life gives me. Because I've made plenty of jump-up-and-down progress in my own house while life happens around me ... while I'm part of it, while it's moving in fast-forward and the pause button's nowhere to be found.
.
So pass the cosmos, honey. It's time to edit. .
.
Photo credit quinet

No comments:

Post a Comment