Sunday, November 28, 2010

NaNoNoNo!

As in No writing, No revising, No blogging, No time for anything. That's been my November. C'est la vie.

I'm really glad I had the sense not to try to commit myself to NaNoWriMo, though I offer a heartfelt "congratulations" and an equally heartfelt "I'm jealous" to all my NaNoWriMo writing friends' success stories.

I did write an awful lot of words in November - and I even got paid for them. But my goal of using the month to kick it into high gear on novel revisions (see NaNoYeahRiMo) went painfully unfulfilled. Seriously - instead of revising more this month, I revised much, much less. In fact, I bet I haven't opened the manuscript five times. That's pathetic, isn't it?

All-right, all-right, this is turning into one of those all-too-common writer-kicking-myself-while-I'm-down posts. (I need to pop over to Natalie Whipple's blog to build up my store of Happy Writers' Society-esque happy thoughts.) What makes us writers so prone to self-flagellation? Could it be the excruciating levels of perfectionism/introspection/self-awareness that cause us to write in the first place?

Makes sense, I guess. Anyway, I'm glad December's almost here. Maybe I'll be less inclined to beat myself up for lack of productivity. Or maybe the holidays will give me enough of a break from the day-to-day that I can actually be productive with my revisions.

Maybe my husband will even give me the gift of time for Christmas.
.
Hint, hint. *winks*

2 comments:

  1. I think self-imposed deadline are the hardest to fulfill, or at least that's what it seems to me. Maybe that's because I try to push myself too hard and set my sights too high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt, Nicole! It's kind of like setting the clocks in my house 10 minutes past real time. I'm still late to everything because my brain does the mental conversion every time I look at the clock. I can't trick myself.

    I pride myself on always meeting my deadlines. But they have to be "real" deadlines. That's why the novel revisions are so hard - I have to rely on good, old-fashioned self-motivation.

    ReplyDelete