Tuesday, October 26, 2010

On Time and a Lack Thereof

Holy cow, where's the past week gone? It feels like I blinked and it flashed by.

Fall pretty much always feels that way around my house. So much happens this time of year - parties, events, sports, etc., etc. I've been running nonstop, and that means I haven't had much of the "me" time it takes to sit at my computer to work on my manuscript or write blog entries. And that's happy and sad at the same time. Happy because it's things like my son's 4th birthday and my husband's lifelong favorite team making the World Series and my freelance career gaining steam that have kept me outside my book. Sad because, well, I'm always sad when I have to spend a prolonged period of time outside my book.

But also happy because every time real life keeps me away from my fiction, I come back to it recharged and raring to go. I might not have opened the manuscript in a few days, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been on my mind. I know when I do get a chance to get back into it (which WILL happen tonight), I'll jump right in, feet-first, with a whole new level of perspective and enthusiasm.

There's a lot to be said for that. In fact, without the forced breaks I took throughout the process of writing my first draft - sometimes a few days, sometimes a few weeks - I don't know that I could have charged through it the way I did. Even good things have to happen in moderation.

OK, pep talk over. Now I need to get some work done so I can get in a little "me" time today.

No comments:

Post a Comment