Friday, October 29, 2010

NaNoYeahRiMo

I really wish I could do NaNoWriMo. I wish I could do it in the same way I wish I could push a "pause" button to make life hold on for a bit while I catch up.

The two things are equally realistic for me right now.

I've been reading great posts about NaNoWriMo across the blogosphere, and I'm totally hooked on the excitement buzzing around it and the idea that it could help me kick-start a new writing project and challenge myself. But it'd be torturous, ridiculous, crazy, masochistic, all-around-looney of me to sign up this time around. Not that I'm not a little masochistic with my self-expectations. Just that I do live in the real world, most of the time, and I know how hard it was for me to carve out the time it took to write a novel in eight and a half months. And how hard it is, right now, for me to carve out time to revise said novel.
.
I think it would set me back to do NaNoWriMo, not push me forward.

So I'll hold that thought till November 2011. In the meantime, though, I'm thinking about making November my own personal StaNoReMo: Stacey's Novel Revising Month. That's right - revisions complete in 30 short days. Think I can do it? Think I can at least have a fully finished third draft ready for critique, if not ready to query, by the end of next month?

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.

4 comments:

  1. I hear you- I'm in no position to attempt NaNo since I just barely made it out of revision hell and am now in querying hell. Elana J's got a guide to revising in 30 days and I just did a series of posts on my revision process- it might help give some direction if you need it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! I'll google that revision guide. I've also been reading Self-Editing for Fiction Writers and it's been a huge help.

    I read your latest revision post, and it was great! Thanks for going into detail - I plan to try out your method. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Stacey--

    Good for you--I'm sure you'll make November work for you! I often find revising even tougher than writing a first draft--I figure, Eh, it's written, it's good enough!, even if it's terrible. Sometimes it's tough to recognize our limitations, but they're there nonetheless.

    By the same token, I had to get real with myself, too. I just have too many things on my plate right now to add the extra stress of feeling guilty about not reaching a daily word count. I'm hearing similar things from other writers I know, as well.

    You can do it! Good luck with your revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far, so good, Sara. I've gotten more work done on the manuscript in the first week of November than in the 2 or 3 months prior. And I'm hoping to work in a trip to my parents' house at some point this month to hole up in my old room and focus solely on the book. My mom's agreed to let me in the door and leave me alone. ;-)

    And good for you for knowing when to say no. I can have trouble with that sometimes, but I definitely knew better than to sign on for NaNoWriMo this year.

    Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete