Thursday, September 16, 2010

Career Direction

I really didn't expect to be doing this.

What I mean is, I've slipped off the trail, lost the other hikers and gone off exploring on my own in the past year, career-wise. And it's surprised even me. It's not that I'm not adventurous, because I am (though not in the off-trail-hiking kind of way so much as the I'm-stir-crazy-let's-book-a-flight kind of way). It's just that I'm the kind of girl who's always pushed myself to achieve. Grades! Degrees! Jobs! And now I don't really have a job.

I mean, I have about four jobs, but none of them requires me to punch a time clock, and none of them gives me a steady paycheck, either.

And that's, like, whoa.

And some days I'm thinking, "Am I nuts?" Because a few years ago I was on a career path. I'd worked my way up the ranks of the 9-5 world. I had a title and a staff and a salary ... and a long commute and sleepless nights and loads of stress and days spent chained to my desk, bleary-eyed from staring at a computer for hours on end.

OK, maybe not so nuts. Anyway, so I'm doing this writing thing pretty much full-time now, and it's still new, and it's going well so far. I'm still chained to my desk some days, but I don't have to drive to get to it, and I can sit here in my PJs instead of heels. I can take days off to hang out with my son without eating into my precious, measly two weeks' vacation time. And I like my work. Really, really like it. Like it so much that I'm sitting here using my free time to write about it, read about it and do more of it. And when I finish this, I'm going to work on my manuscript into the wee hours of the night. The crazy thing is, I can't wait.

And that rocks.

What about you? Is writing your day job, or do you squeeze it into your free time? Have you ever quit a job to do something more fulfilling?

No comments:

Post a Comment